NPA’s Nomgcobo Jiba, Lawrence Mrwebi struck off the roll
NOMGCOBO Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi‚ executives at the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA)‚ have been struck off the roll of advocates.
Judge Francis Legodi has ruled in favour of the application that the General Council of the Bar brought against the two.
Delivering the judgment at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria‚ Legodi found against the bar council on Sibongile Mzinyathi‚ a third respondent in the application.
Mzinyathi is the NPA’s North Gauteng director.
Judgment was reserved on June 1 2016.
Legodi said the court apologised for handing it down more than three months later. “Unfortunately‚ it turned out to be a long judgment‚” he said.
The bar council brought the application last year. It wanted the three removed from the roll of advocates for how they had handled three highly political cases.
These included the NPA’s decision to drop corruption charges against the former head of the crime intelligence division‚ Richard Mdluli.
Reading his judgment‚ Legodi said: “The application against Jiba and Mrwebi with regard to their handling of Mdluli’s case is hereby granted….
“The names of Ms Nomgcobo Jiba and Mr Lawrence Sithembiso Mrwebi are hereby struck off the roll.”
The pair could lose their jobs at the NPA as a result‚ as their positions require them to possess legal qualifications.
Legodi also ordered them to pay costs of the application‚ including the costs of two counsel.
Advocate Zola Majavu represented them in the matter.