Interim Prasa group CEO resigns after nine months on the job
Prasa said in a statement on Thursday that the board had accepted Sibusiso Sithole’s resignation
The interim group CEO of the Passenger Rail Agency of SA (Prasa), Sibusiso Sithole, has resigned after nine months in the post.
Prasa said in a statement on Thursday that the board had accepted Sithole’s resignation, which takes effect immediately.
The agency said Sithole had been in the position since June 1 last year until now, when the board agreed on “a mutual separation upon his resignation”.
Sithole was appointed after the removal in April last year of Mthuthuzeli Swartz as acting CEO by Prasa’s interim board, which cited adverse publicity associated with allegations of corruption and sexual harassment made against Swartz at the time.
After Sithole's appointment, Prasa spokesperson Nana Zenani said he planned to stabilise the agency and that he would focus on its turnaround plan.
On Thursday, board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama wished Sithole well, adding that his resignation came at a time when the board had already, on February 10, advertised the positions of group CEO and chief financial officer, along with other key group executive roles that had been vacant for some time.
“The Prasa board of control remains committed to the goal of getting Prasa back on track,” Kweyama said.
She said the department of transport had in the meantime seconded Nkosinathi Sishi, deputy director-general responsible for corporate governance, special projects and public entity oversight, as acting group CEO.
“His experience will be valuable in keeping Prasa on track as the board of control continues the turnaround journey it has embarked upon,” she said.
Sishi will step aside from Prasa’s board of control while he acts as group CEO “for the sake of good governance”.
Prasa said transport minister Blade Nzimande would appoint another departmental representative to the board as soon as possible.