MINISTERS gave the sternest warning yet on Sunday that those who sought to "instigate" xenophobic attacks and "undermine stability" in SA through fictitious messages on social media would be sought out by law enforcement agencies and dealt with.During a press briefing in Pretoria, ministers — including home affairs minister Malusi Gigaba and state security minister David Mahlobo — said fictitious warnings of xenophobic violence which circulated earlier in the week were aimed at stirring tensions between foreign nationals and locals in the same communities.This follows the killing of a Mozambican national in Alexandra township on Saturday morning.Messages began circulating this past week, through social networking site Whatsapp and via SMS, threatening xenophobic violence in areas such as the Johannesburg CBD. This resulted in a stand off between foreign nationals and a group of attackers on Wednesday afternoon, which also saw a few scuffles.Mr Mahlobo said while people were being in...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.