The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), in response to Jacob Zuma’s last-ditch attempt to have his arms-deal corruption trial halted, has denied it made any payments to the woman who accused the former president of rape. It also said she had been "protected and housed" by the police in a safe house. Fezeka "Khwezi" Kuzwayo went into hiding after she accused Zuma in 2005. Her mother’s home in KwaMashu, north of Durban, was burnt down and following Zuma’s acquittal, she and her mother fled SA. Kuzwayo died in 2016. Zuma, whose time as president of the country and the ANC was marred by allegations of state capture, said in court papers the rape case against him had been part of "concerted efforts to get me convicted of a crime", and to rule him out of the ANC’s 2007 leadership race. The state was responding to a series of demands by Zuma’s lawyers for information he believes is relevant to his application for a permanent stay of his corruption prosecution. Zuma’s application is his l...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.