Mass measles vaccination under way in Western Cape as nine cases confirmed
The province’s health department says when an outbreak is confirmed‚ the first action is to vaccinate all those who are closest to the point of the outbreak
The Western Cape health department has vaccinated 15,000 pupils and children against measles in Stellenbosch and Drakenstein in February, in an effort to prevent the spread of the disease. There are currently nine confirmed cases of measles and all patients have been treated and are recovering. The department said it was acting in line with the World Health Organisation’s outbreak response protocol, which advises mass vaccination to the affected areas and surrounds. The department said a target of 80% coverage needed to be achieved to create immunity. On Sunday afternoon‚ 78% of coverage had been achieved. All available staff was deployed in these areas‚ visiting schools‚ crèches and even going door to door‚ irrespective of the heat. The department said it was positive it would achieve the target of 80% by the end of Monday.
Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.