Immediate investigation of Metrorail train crash ordered
The Department of Transport has directed the Railway Safety Regulator (RSR) to immediately investigate the cause of Monday’s head-on collision between two Metrorail trains.
The Passenger Rail Authority of SA (Prasa) had also been directed to take immediate measures to improve safety, and impose consequences on managers, the department said on Tuesday.
No fatalities were reported in the incident.
Two trains travelling between DeWildt and Pretoria collided between the Rosslyn and Medunsa stations at about 6pm on Monday, injuring more than 100 people, including the two drivers.
United National Transport Union (Untu) general secretary Steve Harris said the cause of the collision was unclear, but it did not appear to be the fault of either driver.
"What we do know is that the operating method was abnormal, both train drivers were authorised by their train conform officers to continue on the route," he said.
The department said on Tuesday that bus services had been commissioned to transport commuters between Winter Nest, Rosslyn and DeWildt stations.