Smoke rises as targets are hit by shelling during the fighting over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh near Terter in Azerbaijan, October 23 2020. Picture: REUTERS/UMIT BEKTAS
Smoke rises as targets are hit by shelling during the fighting over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh near Terter in Azerbaijan, October 23 2020. Picture: REUTERS/UMIT BEKTAS

Baku/Yerevan —  A US-backed ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh was unravelling as clashes resumed on Monday between Azerbaijan and ethnic Armenian forces in the mountain enclave, defying international efforts to end a conflict that has killed hundreds of people over the past month.

Azeri President Ilham Aliyev said in a televised address that he wanted to resolve the conflict “by political and military means” after both sides accused each other of breaking a truce agreed to hours earlier in Washington.

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan wrote earlier on his Facebook page that the Armenian side “continued to adhere to the ceasefire”.

The latest fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh, a mountainous part of Azerbaijan populated and controlled by ethnic Armenians, erupted on September 27 and is the worst in the South Caucasus since the 1990s. Two Russian-brokered ceasefires have failed to hold.

World powers want to prevent a wider war that might draw in Turkey, which voices strong support for Azerbaijan, and Russia, which has a defence pact with Armenia. The conflict, close to pipelines that carry Azeri oil and gas to international markets, has also strained relations between Ankara and its Nato allies.

A third ceasefire since October 10 was agreed to on Sunday after separate talks in Washington between US secretary of state Mike Pompeo and the foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Within minutes of its coming into force at 8am local time, Azerbaijan's defence ministry said in a statement that Armenian forces had shelled villages in the Terter and Lachin regions, located at opposite ends of the conflict zone.

Authorities in Nagorno-Karabakh denied this. The defence ministry said Azeri forces fired missiles on Armenian positions on the northeastern side on the line of contact and the foreign ministry said Azeri fighterjets had violated the ceasefire.

Pompeo has since left Washington, landing on Monday in India on the first leg of a five-day Asian trip.

The Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe’s Minsk Group, formed to mediate the conflict and led by France, Russia and the US, also participated in Sunday's talks and is scheduled to meet the Armenian and Azeri foreign ministers again in Geneva on October 29.

About 30,000 people were killed in a 1991-1994 war over Nagorno-Karabakh, which Armenians regard as part of their historic homeland and Azeris consider to be illegally occupied land that must be returned to their control.

In Monday's address, Aliyev criticised the Minsk Group.

“For almost 30 years, the Minsk Group co-chairs have tried to reconcile Azerbaijan with the process of freezing the conflict, but we have created a new reality,” he said. “We are fed up with these negotiations. How long can you negotiate?”

The office of Artak Beglaryan, Nagorno-Karabakh's human rights ombudsman, said 90,000 residents, or 60% of the enclave's population, had fled their homes for locations elsewhere in Nagorno-Karabakh or Armenia.

The ombudsman's office said one civilian was killed and two wounded in a missile strike on the village of Avetaranots on Monday. This was denied by Azerbaijan's defence ministry.

In all, 41 civilians in Nagorno-Karabakh and 974 servicemen had been killed, the ombudsman's office said. Azerbaijan says that 65 Azeri civilians have been killed and 297 wounded. It has not disclosed its military casualties.

Reuters

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments?
Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.