Kuala Lumpur — The search for flight MH370 will end next week, Malaysia’s transport minister said on Wednesday, more than four years after the plane disappeared and triggered one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries. The Malaysia Airlines jet vanished in March 2014 with 239 people — mostly from China — on board, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. No sign of the plane was found in a 120,000km² sea search zone and the Australian-led hunt, the largest in aviation history, was suspended in January last year. After pressure from family members, the former Malaysian government struck a deal with US exploration firm Ocean Infinity to restart the search on the condition it would only be paid if the jet or its black boxes were found. The firm, which deployed hi-tech underwater drones in its hunt, stood to make up to $70m if successful. Malaysia’s transport minister Anthony Loke, part of the new government that came to power following the May 9 elections, said the hunt was officiall...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now