Picture: GALLO IMAGES
Picture: GALLO IMAGES

The ANC’s top six officials will meet on Monday to discuss a report compiled by the party’s integrity commission over its candidate lists, spokesperson Dakota Legoete says.

The ANC has come came under heavy criticism for its electoral lists — particularly the list of candidates who will take seats in the National Assembly in proportion to the party’s support come May 8.

The list includes the names of controversial politicians such as Bathabile Dlamini, Malusi Gigaba, Mosebenzi Zwane and Nomvula Mokonyane, all of whom who have been implicated in allegations of state capture or been found to have lied under oath.

Two weeks ago, by the deadline for objections to party lists, the Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) had received 29 objections to the ANC’s lists, including to the candidacy of Mokonyane, Dlamini and ministers such as  Zweli Mkhize, Angie Motshekga and Bheki Cele. The commission did not uphold one of the objections.

PODCAST | The DA didn’t win the 2016 election, as much as the ANC lost it ​

Despite weeks of public disapproval, it was only on that day — April 2 — that the ANC’s national executive committee (NEC) referred the candidate lists to the party’s integrity commission. The integrity commission had until then been unable to consider the lists, because it needed a referral from the NEC.

On Sunday, City Press reported that the integrity commission had submitted a list of 22 names — including those of Gwede Mantashe, an ally of President Cyril Ramaphosa, and Deputy President David Mabuza — to the top six last week.

Legoete said on Sunday he could not confirm either the names or the content of the integrity commission’s report, as he had not yet seen it, but confirmed that the top six would deal with the matter on Monday. However, he said a special NEC meeting was not expected to be called, as the party was “deep in the campaign”.  He said the next NEC meeting would be held after the elections.

Business Day reported previously that party members would be expected to resign voluntarily if found wanting by the integrity commission, as it was too late to change the lists.

The list woes are not the only issue troubling the party in the lead-up to the May 8 polls: the DA has blamed the ANC for inciting protests around the country ahead of the elections.

On Sunday the DA in Johannesburg repeated its allegations that the so-called shutdown protests which have spread across the country after erupting in Alexandra more than  a week ago, was fuelled and sustained by the ANC.

The claim was amplified when Ramaphosa  hit the campaign trail on Thursday. He called on the metro and DA mayor Herman Mashaba to clean up Alexandra, before petitioning voters to support the ANC.

Gauteng, where the DA governs two metros in a coalition, is expected to be the main electoral battleground, as opposition parties hope to push the ANC below majority support in the province.

According to DA leader Mmusi Maimane, protests have broken out in Ga-Rankuwa, Mabopane, Pretoria West, Soshanguve, Winterveld, Orange Grove, and Pennyville, Soweto, in Gauteng, as well as in Khayelitsha, Lwandle, and Happy Valley, Blackheath, in the City of Cape Town.

Maimane  said on Sunday that the situation requires “urgent intervention”.  He said police commissioner Khehla Sitole’s commitment to meet him on April 29 was simply  “not good enough”.

“April 29 may be too late,” Maimane said, adding that he would ask Sitole for a face-to face meeting within the next 48 hours.

Maimane said he would also ask for a meeting with IEC chair Glen Mashini to get an update on the complaint the DA had lodged with the electoral commission over the “shutdown” protests. He said he would “seek reassurance” that the elections will go ahead on May 8.

Meanwhile, the presidency announced over the weekend that the presidential inauguration would take place at Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria, on May 25. 

Mailovichc@businesslive.co.za