Outraged Eastern Cape ANC members will look to party to resolve discontent
In an affidavit‚ Gwede Mantashe says the applicants sent the ANC a letter earlier in November‚ saying they made a ‘conscious decision to withdraw the court application’
ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe says members of a faction of the party in the Eastern Cape that went to court to nullify the outcome of a provincial elective conference, have agreed instead to submit themselves to the party’s internal processes.
This means the case before the courts should not be allowed to go ahead, according to Mantashe.
The ANC has applied to the Grahamstown High Court to allow Mantashe’s last-minute affidavit to be admitted into evidence.
The ANC and its recently elected chair‚ Oscar Mabuyane‚ are opposing the application brought by 11 ANC members disenchanted by the outcome of the provincial conference‚ which was marred by violence on election day.
Most of premier Phumulo Masualle’s supporters reportedly left the conference‚ and Mabuyane was elected with a massive majority as a result.
The matter was supposed to be argued in the high court on Tuesday‚ but was adjourned till Monday to allow lawyers for the applicants — who include ANC OR Tambo region members Nomawethu Mgabadeli‚ Bulelwa Madikida‚ Baxolile Kulu‚ Kayo Marhini and Ntselwa Nompilo — to file papers opposing any attempt to have Mantashe’s affidavit admitted into evidence.
In the affidavit‚ Mantashe says the applicants sent the ANC a letter earlier in November‚ confirming that they had made a "conscious decision to withdraw the court application" and allow the ANC internal processes to take place.
The gap within which the application can be heard is closing fast‚ as the ANC’s national elective conference is due to begin on December 16.