We've got news for you.

Register on BusinessLIVE at no cost to receive newsletters, read exclusive articles & more.
Register now

"It’s a very hard thing to grow a vertically integrated business," says Warren Schewitz, founder and CEO of cannabis wellness brand Goodleaf. "It’s damned hard to be good at one thing — let alone two or three."

It’s for this reason that Schewitz is "super-excited" to be joining forces with Lesotho cannabis grower Highlands Investments. The R650m deal, announced last week, will give Highlands shareholders 35% of the new entity while Goodleaf shareholders will hold the remaining 65%. Importantly, it will create the largest vertically integrated cannabis company in Africa — a seed-to-sale operation that will leverage its low-cost production and its local distribution base as it expands globally...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as articles from our international business news partners; ProfileData financial data; and digital access to the Sunday Times and Sunday Times Daily.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now