WE ARE HIRING: Financial Mail news editor
Financial Mail news editor
Reporting to: Financial Mail editor
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg
Fox is the Financial Mail’s news section. It contains breaking news (across sectors: economics, politics, companies), detailed technology coverage, profiles and a number of columns. The magazine’s purpose is to provide in-depth intelligence on the key issues of the day, going behind the numbers and headlines to find the backstory behind the events. We do this through compelling narrative, sharply-written news stories, and exclusive articles.
- Manage a short- and long-term news diary;
- Generate story ideas, spot industry trends and keep abreast of developments across the political economy;
- Write when required;
- Edit with accuracy, flair and an eye for detail;
- An aptitude and good EQ for managing reporters;
- Multitask and manage a variety of simultaneous processes and deadlines;
- Work independently, sometimes at irregular hours; and
- An ability to work in a high-pressured environment
Minimum qualifications and requirements
- At least 10 years’ experience in journalism, with a solid understanding of business and the political economy;
- A relevant degree would be an asset;
- Excellent general knowledge and some subject expertise in areas such as economics and technology;
- An understanding of the stock exchange, including JSE-listed companies, would be an asset; and
- The ability to tell compelling stories that go beyond the numbers and that tell the backstory behind corporate events.
Qualified applicants may submit their CV, cover letter and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: September 30 2021
Arena Holdings is an equal opportunity employer. Preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Kindly take note that if we do not respond to you in the next two months, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments?
Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.