WATCH | National energy dialogue
The FM, in partnership with the Central Energy Fund and Mkokeli Advisory, hosted an insightful discussion on SA's approach to a 'just transition'
The Central Energy Fund partnered with the FM and Mkokeli Advisory to host a virtual national energy dialogue on February 25.
Mineral resources & energy minister Gwede Mantashe delivered the keynote address at the online event, which also featured a diverse list of speakers.
This panel discussion was the perfect opportunity to expand on some of the pronouncements made by President Cyril Ramaphosa during the recent State of the Nation Address.
It examined SA's approach to a “just transition to a low-carbon economy and a climate resilient society” and the associated plans to achieve energy sustainability. This included taking a closer look at the department of mineral resources & energy's Integrated Resource Plan.
The panel included:
- Dr Phindile Masangane, CEO at Petroleum Agency SA;
- Anna Sempe, petroleum geoscientist at Total Energies;
- Dr Alex Lenferna, secretary of the Climate Justice Coalition;
- Dr Brian Motherway, head of the energy efficiency division at the International Energy Agency;
- Isaah Mhlanga, chief economist at Alexander Forbes,
- Ofentse Nene, nuclear engineer;
- Peter Attard Montalto, finance analyst at Intellidex;
- Shirley Webber: coverage head: natural resources & energy for the Absa group; and
- Siyanda Mngadi, geophysicist.