JOB AD: Deputy head of production at Business Day
Here's your chance to join the team at one of SA's most innovative publishers
Reporting to: Head of production
Department: Business Day
Business Day is looking to hire an energetic, organised individual as Deputy Head of Production for Business Day. We're looking for someone who has a solid track record in journalism production, who will work well in a team, and is able to work across all of Business Day’s platforms. The ideal candidate would particularly need extensive experience in print production, having a flair for page design, as well being a solid, accurate and fast copy editor, including being a stickler for details and accuracy.
Main responsibilities and outcomes
- Liaise with pagination
- Assign pages and/or copy
- Produce and sub-edit the front page of the newspaper
- Sign off on the rest of print product in accordance with design style and demands for fairness and accuracy
- Monitor the flow of digital copy
- Ensure superb sub-editing for print and digital, using the correct content management system
- Ensure production journalists sub/produce at least 15 reports per shift
- Ensure adequate supply of digital copy (150 items per day)
- Ensure production journalists meet deadlines
- Ensure digital content is enhanced as required
- Errors – in terms of grammar, spelling, style and relating to fact – are minimised
- Overseeing legal and ethical issues in copy
- Revise content where required
- Ensure metadata is relevant and accurate
- Ensure print deadlines are met
- Make certain speed is considered for both web and print
Minimum qualifications and requirements
- At least seven years’ experience in journalism production;
- A relevant degree/diploma;
- A track record of accurate, fast and factually correct editing;
- A track record of managing a team of production journalists;
- Wide general knowledge, specifically related to business, the markets, politics and economics, and an excellent grasp of current affairs.
- A working knowledge of digital platforms.
Qualified applicants may submit their CV, cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 26 July 2019
Tiso Blackstar Group is an Affirmative Action Employer and as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Kindly take note that should we not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.