Brand South Africa
Brand South Africa was established in August 2002 to help create a positive and compelling brand image for South Africa.
At that time, the world was unsure about what to think of South Africa, with many different messages being sent out by various sources. This did very little to build the country’s brand and it was evident that to attract tourism and investment there was a need to co-ordinate marketing initiatives to make them more effective.
This led to the creation of Brand South Africa, whose main objective is the marketing of South Africa through the Brand South Africa campaign.
There are many benefits to having a consolidated brand image, with the most important being that a consistent Brand South Africa message creates strategic advantages in terms of trade and tourism for the country in an increasingly competitive marketplace.
- Vision: A Nation Brand that inspires its people and is admired globally.
- To develop and articulate a South African Nation Brand identity that will advance South Africa’s long-term positive reputation and global competitiveness.
- Seek the involvement and cooperation of various stakeholders in building awareness and the image of the Nation Brand domestically and internationally.
- Look to build individual alignment to the Nation Brand in South Africa, and pride and patriotism amongst South Africans.
- Purpose: To ensure a sustainable future for our children.
- Strategic Positioning: Inspire and unify civil society, business, government and the media to build the reputation of South Africa, and contribute to its global competitiveness.
Brand South Africa also conducts research to develop insight and analysis into the performance of the Nation Brand from a domestic and international perspective focused on Reputation & Competitiveness.
To this end Brand South Africa’s research tracks a wide variety of competitiveness, reputation, and related global studies and indices. Research furthermore aims to inform organisational strategy development, provide feedback to stakeholders on the performance and perceptions of the Nation Brand from several perspectives, e.g. Economic & Political Governance (Private & Public Sector); Competitiveness; Reputation; Domestic Perceptions; International Investor Perceptions; Culture, Heritage & People.
Brand South Africa also drives the nationwide movement, Play Your Part. Its purpose is to empower and celebrate active citizenship in South Africa, by inspiring all South Africans to contribute to positive change, become involved and start doing – because a nation of people who care deeply for one another and the environment in which they live is good for everyone.
Play Your Part is aimed at all South Africans – from corporates to individuals, NGOs to government, churches to schools, young to not so young. It aims to encourage South Africans to use some of their time, money, skills or goods to contribute to a better future for all.
There are numerous opportunities, big and small, for each and every South African to make a positive difference in the communities in which they live and operate. Play Your Part encourages them to act on these opportunities.