A “WAR ROOM” with a R50-million budget allegedly set up to ensure that the ANC emerged victorious in last year's local government elections was a disastrous farce, court papers suggest. Details of the chaos said to have characterised the war room are contained in an application to the Johannesburg High Court brought by a public relations consultant who is suing the ANC for what she claims is R2.2-million owed to her company for work done for the party during the election campaign. Opposition political parties yesterday called the revelations evidence of “dirty tricks” and the ANC scrambled to distance itself from the war room project, with which party luminary Shaka Sisulu, grandson of party stalwart Walter Sisulu, is said to have been involved. The application to the court describes bungle after bungle, including allegations that Sisulu arrived drunk at the war room after an all-night party. A campaign centred on a fake EFF poster was so ineffectual that almost no one noticed it. I...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Sunday Times Daily.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now