JOB ADS | Political writer
Here's your chance to join the team at one of SA's most innovative publishers
Political writer: Business Day
Reporting to: Political editor
Department: Business Day editorial
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg
Arena Holdings has a vacancy for a political writer to write news and analysis for Business Day as well as its online platforms. The successful candidate will have good political contacts across political parties and be able to report quickly and accurately on political events, political parties, the political economy and all spheres of government, as well as provide analysis thereof. He or she will be required to pitch story ideas, accept assignments from editors, and attend regular editorial meetings.
The successful candidate must have an editorial background and proven skill in writing about politics in English. He or she will be able to work under pressure and on deadline. Knowledge of print and digital publishing systems is also required.
- Excellent all-round ability in written and spoken English.
- The ability to deliver accurate work to tight deadlines, for both online and print.
- A relevant tertiary qualification.
- At least five years’ experience as a journalist.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong interviewing skills.
- The ability to establish and maintain relationships with credible sources of information.
- Good research abilities.
- A thorough knowledge of journalistic ethics and media law.
- A valid driver’s licence.
- A wide-ranging interest in political and current affairs.
- An understanding of politics, policy, political parties and government.
- A broad general knowledge.
Candidates should also have:
- a wide-ranging interest in political and current affairs;
- an understanding of politics, policy, political parties and government; and
- a broad general knowledge.
- Be self-motivated with the ability to work within a team.
Qualified applicants may submit their CV, cover letter, two published writing examples and two references to managing editor Kevin O’Grady at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: April 15 2021
Arena Holdings is an equal opportunity employer. Preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Kindly take note that if we do not respond to you in the next two months, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.