JOB AD | Financial services correspondent
Here's your chance to join the team at one of SA's most innovative publishers
Reporting to: Companies & Markets Editor
Location: Parktown, Johannesburg
Department: BusinessLIVE, including Business Day and BDTV
Position type: Permanent
BusinessLIVE (including Business Day and BDTV) is looking to hire an energetic and creative individual to write about investments, banking, insurance, accountancy and other financial services. We're looking for a senior and highly driven reporter who has a solid track record in business journalism, who will work well in a team, and is able to work across digital, print and broadcast platforms to take on one of the most prestigious roles in financial journalism in the country. The candidate will take a senior role in the newsroom and will mentor junior reporters, guide commentary and contribute to editorial board discussions. The candidate will set the agenda, break new stories quickly and explain them clearly. The candidate will have a track record of fast and accurate reportage, excellent and clear analysis, and sober and thoughtful opinion.
Main responsibilities and outcomes:
- Triage financial services news flow in co-operation with the desk.
- Write stories on financial services that break the news, sets the agenda and spots the trends.
- Oversee reporting of company results and analysis thereof.
- Develop a network of sources and contacts in the investment, banking, insurance, accountancy industries.
- Write high-impact stories, based on impeccable research and interviews.
- Play a leadership role in assisting and guiding younger reporters.
- Work constructively and collaboratively with the Companies and News desks.
Minimum qualifications and requirements
- At least ten years’ experience in business journalism;
- Relevant diploma/degree in journalism;
- The ability to strip away the jargon in corporate announcements, crisply explaining and reporting in an accessible way investment issues to our audience.
- Knowledge of the JSE, stock markets and the business and regulatory environment;
- A working knowledge of digital platforms, social media and a Bloomberg terminal is necessary
- Excellent news gathering, research and writing skills;
- Ability to work accurately under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Unimpeachable integrity;
- A solid contact base; and
- Ability to travel and work irregular hours.
Qualified applicants may submit their CV, cover letter, three writing samples and two references to: email@example.com
Closing date: August 31 2023
Arena Holdings is an affirmative action employer and as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organisation. Kindly take note that should we do not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.