Why does flying attract so much flak when it accounts for just 2% of carbon dioxide emissions? That was the pained question from an audience member at a sold-out Financial Times event I chaired last week on aviation’s future.

Leo Murray, an environmentalist who was one of the panellists, said that when you included flying’s other emissions, the true figure was about 5%. But that still leaves 95% of climate damage coming from elsewhere.

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now