Suppose you’re injured in an accident and you’re awarded damages in compensation. Very wisely, you invest that award.

Later, you marry in community of property. Unfortunately, the marriage doesn’t last and now, some years later, you are in the throes of a divorce. What is to happen to the money awarded to you to compensate for whatever you suffered — missing fingers, a damaged hip, constant neck pain? Is it your personal money, or is it part of the joint estate, to be divided between you and your former spouse?..

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as articles from our international business news partners; ProfileData financial data; and digital access to the Sunday Times and Sunday Times Daily.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems? Email or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now