We've got news for you.

Register on BusinessLIVE at no cost to receive newsletters, read exclusive articles & more.
Register now

As an employee, all nonmonetary benefits that you receive from your employer - commonly known as fringe benefits - are taxable subject to certain exclusions. Common examples of taxable fringe benefits include the right to use a car, a housing subsidy, the payment of residential accommodation and medical scheme contributions. However, not all fringe benefits are subject to taxation. Two common examples that are worth looking into in more detail are the uniform allowance and relocation costs. Both of these may be exempt from taxation if certain requirements are met. Uniform allowance An employer may provide you, as an employee, with a uniform, or provide you with an allowance to purchase a uniform. Such a provision would generally be regarded as a fringe benefit and be subject to taxation in the hands of the employee. However, if certain requirements are met, this provision for a uniform may be nontaxable for the employee. The requirements are very stringent: l It must be a condition ...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as articles from our international business news partners; ProfileData financial data; and digital access to the Sunday Times and Sunday Times Daily.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.

Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now

Would you like to comment on this article?
Register (it's quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

Commenting is subject to our house rules.