Tiger Brands has opted out of delicatessen meats after a deadly outbreak of listeria at one of its factories - which claimed more than 200 lives - exposed it to a class-action suit. This week Tiger Brands said its value-added meat products division continued to suffer following the listeriosis outbreak. CEO Lawrence MacDougall said the company had elected to not participate in the deli segment due to regulatory risk. Richard Spoor Attorneys filed a summons at the high court in Johannesburg last month, asking the court to find Tiger Brands liable for harm to the class members as a result of its production and distribution of contaminated ready-to-eat meat. The class action is on behalf of people who fell ill after eating listeria-tainted products and the families of those who died. More than 1,000 people were diagnosed with listeria during the outbreak last year. Tiger Brands will defend the suit. Ian Cruickshanks, chief economist at the South African Institute of Race Relations, sai...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.