Construction of the iconic R4.3bn Oceans Umhlanga development, delayed through legal wrangling over money, is expected to resume early next month. Construction firm WBHO, which was suing developer Vivian Reddy personally for R35m for work already done but not paid for, has confirmed it has withdrawn the court action. "A payment plan has been agreed and the court action has been withdrawn," WBHO's attorney Peter Barnard confirmed, after Reddy said the matter had been settled. Reddy said this would pave the way for the construction of the mall and hotel - at a cost of R1.4bn - to proceed in the first week of June. The court action was set down in the Pietermaritzburg high court for June 3. "The contractor assured us they are truly committed to the success and completion of the project," Reddy said in an e-mail to Business Times. The upmarket development was effectively shut down in October last year, with the company blaming the financial woes of two contractors, Liverio and Group Fiv...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.