London — Iran will ask the international community to take a position on the US designation of its Revolutionary Guards as a terrorist organisation, foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says. Iran condemned US President Donald Trump’s step last week as illegal. The Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps is a powerful elite force which controls much of the Iranian state and economy. “We will send messages to foreign ministers of all countries to tell them it is necessary for them to express their stances, and to warn them that this unprecedented and dangerous US measure has had and will have consequences,” Zarif was quoted as saying by state news agency Irna. Zarif said he had also sent letters to UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres and the UN Security Council to protest against “this illegal US measure”. Tehran retaliated against Washington's move by designating the regional US Central Command (Centcom) as a terrorist organisation. Relations between Tehran and Washington took a tu...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now