Ghanzi — At least 65 people were killed in a Taliban-claimed attack on an Afghan intelligence base, sources said on Tuesday, in the latest high-casualty attack on beleaguered Afghan forces. The new toll from Monday’s Taliban-claimed attack in central Wardak province is far higher than earlier figures of 12 dead, and comes after a day of confusion, with officials giving conflicting casualty numbers to media. The attack, in which militants detonated a Humvee packed with explosives before gunmen arrived in a car and opened fire, targeted an intelligence training facility, officials said, meaning information remains difficult to verify. “We took about 65 bodies out of the rubble yesterday,” said Mohammad Sardar Bakhyari, deputy head of the Wardak provincial council. A senior security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, gave an even higher toll of at least 70 killed. On Monday provincial officials said just 12 people had been killed in the attack. Figures given by officials to...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now