Doha — Qatar has filed a complaint with the World Trade Organisation (WTO) over an "illegal siege" imposed by its Gulf neighbours, its commerce ministry said on Monday. The gas-rich emirate has been slapped with sanctions and demands after four countries, including regional kingpin Saudi Arabia, cut ties with it on June 5, accusing Doha of fostering Islamist groups and of links to Riyadh’s arch-rival Iran. Qatar denies the allegations. The ministry of economy and commerce said a complaint had been lodged with the WTO’s dispute settlement body against the "siege countries".

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.