Pro-Assad militias shoot at evacuation convoy as it leaves eastern Aleppo
The evacuation of rebels from Aleppo began on Thursday, after a new ceasfire was agreed to replace the one shattered on Wednesday.
Reuters reported that the first ambulances crossed out of eastern Aleppo, but on their way out were shot at by militias loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Three people in the convoy were wounded, including an aid worker, the head of an ambulance service in Aleppo told Orient TV, Reuters reported.
The evacuation was meant to start on Wednesday, but was delayed.
The truce deal intended to enable the evacuation was broken on Wednesday, and a new one announced in the early hours of Thursday.
The International Committee of the Red Cross was to help with transporting injured rebels out of eastern Aleppo, the Interfax news agency reported Russia’s defence ministry as saying on Thursday.
Russian soldiers were preparing to lead rebels out of Aleppo under orders from President Vladimir Putin, the defence ministry said earlier on Thursday.