Washington/Seoul — US secretary of state Mike Pompeo said on Monday that he is hopeful the US will send a delegation to North Korea in the coming weeks, after a summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ended with no deal. The leaders’ second summit last week in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi failed to produce any agreement or immediate plan for follow-up negotiations. “I am hopeful, although I have no commitment yet, that we will be back at it, that I’ll have a team in Pyongyang in the next couple weeks,” Pompeo told the Iowa Farm Bureau. “I’m continuing to work to find those places where there’s a shared interest.” The two sides gave different reasons for the abrupt end to the talks about denuclearisation on the Korean peninsula. Trump said on Thursday that North Korea wanted the sanctions lifted in their entirety, while North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong-ho said they had only demanded a partial easing in exchange for dismantling its main nuclear s...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now