Demonstrators urge authorities to rescue hundreds of abducted schoolboys in northwestern state of Katsina, Nigeria, December 17 2020. Picture: REUTERS/AFOLABI SOTUNDE
Demonstrators urge authorities to rescue hundreds of abducted schoolboys in northwestern state of Katsina, Nigeria, December 17 2020. Picture: REUTERS/AFOLABI SOTUNDE

Katsina  — Protesters marched in northwestern Nigeria on Thursday  as pressure mounted on the government to secure the release of more than 300 kidnapped schoolboys who appeared in an unverified video with the captors.

Parents fear time is running out to bring the boys home. The Islamist group Boko Haram, which said in the unverified audio message that it was behind their abduction from a school on December 11, has a history of turning captives into  jihadist fighters.

A video circulating on social media on Thursday purportedly showed Boko Haram militants with some of the boys. Featuring Boko Haram's emblem, the video showed a group of boys in a wood begging security forces to leave the area.

Reuters was not able to immediately verify the authenticity of the footage, the boys shown or who released it.

A spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari did not immediately respond to a call and messages regarding the video.

If its claims are true, Boko Haram's involvement in northwestern Nigeria marks a geographical expansion in its activities.

In the city of Katsina, dozens of people marched through the streets in response to a call from the Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG), a civil society body that focuses on the welfare of northern Nigerians.  

The hashtag #BringBackOurBoys has been trending on Twitter in recent days and echoes a campaign that was launched to bring home more than 200 girls abducted by Boko Haram in 2014.

“Northern Nigeria has been abandoned at the mercy of vicious insurgents, bandits, kidnappers, armed robbers, rapists and an assortment of hardened criminals,” said Balarabe Ruffin, CNG's national coordinator.

He said there was a “huge vacuum in the political will and capacity of government to challenge” the kidnappers, who abducted the boys from the all-boys Government Science secondary school in the town of Kankara in Katsina state.

About 320 boys are still missing, the Katsina state government has said.

Late on Wednesday, Katsina state governor Aminu Bello Masari told the BBC Hausa service the missing boys were in the forests of neighbouring Zamfara state.

An aide to Masari said soldiers and intelligence officers had been combing the Rugu forest, which stretches across Katsina, Zamfara, Kaduna and Niger states, in search of the boys.

Regional security experts say the boys could be taken over the nearby border into Niger, which would make finding them harder.

Armed gangs that rob and kidnap for ransom, widely referred to as “bandits”, carry out attacks on communities across the northwest, making it hard for locals to farm, travel or tap rich mineral assets in some states such as gold.

Criminal gangs operating in the northwest have killed more than 1,100 people in the first half of 2020 alone, according to rights group Amnesty International.

In the northeast, Boko Haram and its offshoot, Islamic State West Africa Province, have waged a decade-long insurgency estimated to have displaced about 2-million people and killed more than 30,000.  

Reuters 

Newly released video footage purportedly shows some of the over 300 schoolboys who were kidnapped in Nigeria last week.

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments?
Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.