Libreville — A Chadian rebel group vowed on Monday to pursue its campaign against President Idriss Deby, despite suffering losses to government forces after being targeted by French air strikes. “A battle has been lost, but not the war,” Youssouf Hamid, spokesperson of the Union of Resistance Forces (UFR), told AFP. On Saturday, the Chadian military said it captured more than 250 rebels, including four senior leaders, and seized more than 40 vehicles and “several hundred” weapons. The operation targeted a convoy of militants trying to cross into Chad from Libya that was also hit earlier in several French air strikes, it said. Hamid said the military’s account is a “fantasy”. He said “about 30” fighters who had taken shelter in a cave after the French attacks surrendered to the Chadian army “without fighting”. Hamid added: “We didn’t know that France would intervene. Normally, they do intelligence-gathering, which we knew about. We didn’t expect them to carry out strikes.” “It wasn’t...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Sunday Times Daily.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now