More than 150 women and girls have come forward in the past 12 days to seek help in South Sudan after they were raped or suffered other forms of sexual violence, the heads of three UN agencies said on Monday. Armed men, many in uniform, carried out the attacks near the northern city of Bentiu, according to a joint statement from Henrietta Fore, who heads the UN children's agency Unicef, UN aid chief Mark Lowcock and the director of the UN Population Fund, Natalia Kanem. The three agencies condemned “these abhorrent attacks” and called on South Sudan authorities to ensure the perpetrators face justice. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said last week that 125 women and girls had been raped while walking to emergency food distribution centres set up by international aid agencies. UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres condemned the attacks. “These horrific acts are a distressing reminder of how, despite recent recommitments by South Sudan's leaders to a cessation of hostilities and a revit...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now