Geneva — Air strikes by a Saudi-led coalition have killed 42 civilians in Yemen over the past week, with multiple children among the dead, the United Nations human rights office said on Friday. "In the week from August 17 to August 24, 58 civilians have been killed, including 42 by the Saudi-led coalition," spokeswoman Liz Throssell told reporters in Geneva. The UN toll counted a series of strikes on Wednesday, including an attack on a hotel in Sanaa Governorate that killed 33 people and a separate strike on a house, also in Sanaa, that left six people dead. On Tuesday, "a woman and two children were killed and two women and two children were injured when an airstrike by the Saudi-led Coalition hit a house in Talan village" in Sanaa Governorate, according to a rights office statement. "In all these cases, in which civilians were killed and injured, witnesses said that there had been no warnings that an attack was imminent," it said. The Saudi-led coalition entered Yemen’s war in 201...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now