Washington — The United States warned Tuesday that extremists plan to target passenger jets with bombs hidden in electronic devices, and banned carrying them onto flights from 10 Middle East airports. Senior US officials told reporters that nine airlines from eight countries had been given 96 hours, beginning at 7.00am GMT, to ban devices bigger than a cellphone or smartphone from the cabin. Laptops, tablets and portable game consoles are affected by the ban — which applies to direct flights to the US — but they may still be stowed in the hold in checked baggage. Passengers on approximately 50 flights per day from some of the busiest hubs in the Middle East, Turkey and North Africa will be obliged to follow the new emergency ruling. "The restrictions are in place due to evaluated intelligence and we think it’s the right thing to do and the right places to do it to secure the safety of the traveling public," one US official said. The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, ref...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.