Pirates fans react to their club's 6-0 drubbing by Sundowns. Picture: SUNDAY TIMES
Pirates fans react to their club's 6-0 drubbing by Sundowns. Picture: SUNDAY TIMES

The pitch invasion by Orlando Pirates supporters during the Bucs’ 6-0 thrashing at the hands of Mamelodi Sundowns in Pretoria at the weekend‚ has angered SA’s Cabinet.

"Such behaviour and acts of hooliganism brings the sport into disrepute‚ reflects negatively on the country and the Cabinet, and requires stringent action from soccer authorities to ensure such acts are not repeated," Cabinet said.

Earlier this week‚ EFF leader Julius Malema also weighed in on the crowd behaviour. "We don’t agree with violence. Even this thing of Pirates was not correct. Pirates is a big club and must be respected‚" he said.

The Premier Soccer League (PSL) match was delayed for an hour on Saturday after Percy Tau’s 82nd-minute sixth goal sparked a pitch invasion, first by Pirates’ fans then those of Sundowns in response‚ resulting in fighting and injuries.

The players‚ coaching staff and benches of both sides sprinted for the safety of the changing rooms. After the PSL’s security officials were overwhelmed, a South Africa Police Services armoured vehicle drove onto the pitch and tear gas and stun grenades were fired.

The match resumed after the delay‚ and was completed‚ but only after fans were treated for injuries by paramedics on the field.

The PSL has also "strongly condemned ... the acts of hooliganism by some of the fans"‚ and apologised to all the supporters and stakeholders, those who were at the stadium and also those watching on television, saying "Such behaviour at our stadiums is a bad advert for our football."

TMG Digital

Please sign in or register to comment.