Traders are waiting for Iran’s response to a nuclear deal proposal that could raise the country’s exports
Claims do not align with the facts and the advert for ‘constructive dialogue’ is just marketing
Numsa is waiting for the strike certificate to be issued and in the meantime is mobilising members for a total shut down of all smelters at Samancor
Voting for the top five positions of the provincial leadership continued late into Sunday evening
Neumann is back with concept to revolutionise residential real estate
An employee at the Kruger National Park opened a case at the Skukuza police station in Mpumalanga
Former CEO Mike Metz stepped down from the helm on his 65th birthday, but will stay on in an advisory capacity
The deposed leader was found guilty of four corruption charges related to a charity named after her late mother
Skipper Kolisi says they would have loved momentum ‘but we can’t let our heads drop for long’
Porsche Taycan Turbo S laps the famous German circuit in seven minutes and 33 seconds
Tiger Woods skipped the physical grind of playing the US Open in June because he did not want to risk his chances of playing in next week’s 150th Open Championship at St Andrews.
Speaking to reporters at the JP McManus Pro-Am at Ireland’s Adare Manor Golf Club, Woods said problems with his surgically repaired right leg kept him out of the June 16-19 Major at Brookline, Massachusetts.
“The plan was to play the US Open, but physically I was not able to do that,” he said. “There’s no way physically I could have done that.
“I had some issues with my leg, and it would have put this tournament in jeopardy, and so there’s no reason to do that.”
Woods, 46, has three wins at the Open among his 15 Major championships, including victories at the Old Course at St Andrews in Scotland in 2000 and 2005.
“This is a pretty historic Open that we are going to be playing,” Woods said.
“I’m lucky enough to be part of the past champions that have won there, and want to play there again, and I don’t know when they are ever going to go back while I’m still able to play at a high level.
“I want to be able to give it at least one more run at a high level.”
Woods has not played in an official event since the PGA Championship at Southern Hills in May.
He withdrew from that tournament after carding a nine-over 79 in the third round.
Since recovering from a motor car accident near Los Angeles in February 2021, Woods has played in only two official tournaments.
He placed 47th at the Masters in April.
Woods carded a five-over 77 in the first round of the 36-hole pro-am on Monday and showed some improvement with a two-over 74 in Tuesday’s final round. He made back-to-back birdies at the 15th and 16th holes, along with four bogeys. He tied for 39th at seven over.
Woods said he had good days and “some very difficult days ... [when] moving off the couch is a hell of a task and that’s just the way it is”.
The 82-time PGA Tour winner and former World No 1 admitted he did not know how much longer he would be able to play competitive golf.
“I don’t know. I really don’t,” Woods said. “If you asked me last year whether I would play golf again, all of my surgeons would have said no.
“But here I am playing two Major championships this year.
“I will always be able to play golf, whether it’s this leg or someone else’s leg or false leg or different body pieces that have been placed or fused. I’ll always be able to play.
“Now if you say play at a championship level, well, that window is definitely not as long as I would like it to be.”
Field Level Media
Would you like to comment on this article? Register (it's quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.
Published by Arena Holdings and distributed with the Financial Mail on the last Thursday of every month except December and January.