CANCELLED GLOBAL LEAGUE
Cricket SA to pay players in tranches
Players who signed with franchises in the aborted inaugural T20 Global League will be paid up to 60% of the value of their contracts. Eventually‚ that is.
Cricket SA said on Tuesday "payment will be made in three equal instalments between December 2017 and April 2018", which will be seen as another embarrassment in an episode that has crippled the organisation’s credibility.
Sources say the upper limit of 60% applies to the South African players who were to appear in the tournament which was to have been played in November and December but was called off when, Cricket SA says‚ it realised the venture would lose $25m.
Foreigners who did not make alternative playing arrangements will apparently have to be satisfied with half of what they were to be paid.
But those who‚ for instance‚ latched on to a side in the Bangladesh Premier League will supposedly make less than half the original Global League fees.
News of the settlement being reached was confirmed in Tuesday’s release. Not disclosed was how much of the salary bill‚ reportedly $10.8m‚ Cricket SA had managed to salvage.
Asked for the financial details‚ Cricket SA was unwilling to provide them.
The settlements were agreed following mediation between Cricket SA and the South African Cricketers’ Association (Saca).
"The settlement will help bridge the gap between player expectation and the disappointment of having to postpone the league‚" the release quoted Cricket SA acting CE Thabang Moroe as saying. Saca CE Tony Irish was quoted as saying the deal had been "well-received by players".