Electoral commission receives objections to 53 candidates
The Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) has received objections to 53 candidates across nine political parties. Lists of candidates nominated by political parties to contest the elections nationally and provincially were opened for public scrutiny last week. The deadline for objections was Tuesday. The IEC’s chief electoral officer Sy Mamabolo said political parties with candidates that were objected to would have an opportunity to respond. The IEC, however, will not comment on the merits or substance of the objections until it has adjudicated and determined the 53 objections. It has until April 8 to do this. TimesLive reported that the IEC received objections to 30 names on the ANC’s candidate list. In a letter seen by the publication, the IEC said the objections consisted of various allegations against the candidates, including allegations of corruption revealed during the state-capture inquiry, various court cases and information provided via news agencies and social media. Some of ...
Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.