SABC television studios in Auckland Park. Picture: KEVIN SUTHERLAND
SABC television studios in Auckland Park. Picture: KEVIN SUTHERLAND

On Monday, the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) began an inquest into the mismanagement of funds at the SABC.

This is months after President Jacob Zuma received a request to issue a proclamation on the probe.

In August‚ Zuma gave the unit‚ headed by advocate Lekhoa Mothibi‚ the green light to look at irregular transactions at the SABC.

The unit is primarily responsible for high-profile forensic investigations as determined by the president through proclamations.

"The Standing Committee on Public Accounts (Scopa) would like to welcome the fact that the SIU will be starting its work of investigating the SABC today‚" Scopa chairperson Themba Godi said on Monday.

"Scopa is hoping that all the officials of the SABC will co-operate fully with the investigation so that the SIU can get to the bottom of the problem that caused such maladministration. Scopa is happy that the work of the Committee is bearing fruit and would like to thank the SABC interim board for its sterling work, which has seen the SABC stabilising from the dire situation it was in‚" said Godi.

On Wednesday, the SIU will appear before Scopa to brief the committee on all the cases before the unit. Scopa will also discuss ways in which the SIU can partner with the committee to make sure that corruption is rooted out in government and state entities.

SABC interim board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama has previously said the public broadcaster had approached the SIU to conduct a forensic investigation into fruitless and wasteful expenditure incurred between 2012 and March 31 2017‚ amounting to more than R5bn.

Please sign in or register to comment.