Hlaudi Motsoeneng. Picture: SUPPLIED
Hlaudi Motsoeneng. Picture: SUPPLIED

The SABC’s Hlaudi Motsoeneng is opposing ANC chief whip Jackson Mthembu’s R1m lawsuit against him.

Mthembu’s lawyer, Nicqui Galaktiou, said Motsoeneng had served a notice of intention to defend the suit.

"[He is] confirming that he does intend to defend the action. He’s got until January 26 to file his plea, which in essence is his defence to the claim," she said.

Motsoeneng’s lawyer, Zola Majavu, could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

Mthembu announced in November that he was suing Motsoeneng for making "malicious and defamatory" allegations against him.

This was after Motsoeneng reportedly claimed in The New Age business briefing in October that the ANC chief whip had ulterior motives and "interests" in the public broadcaster.

Motsoeneng reportedly said: "Jackson Mthembu should know that I met him at a certain hotel, where maybe it is capture, but no one can capture me and he knows that. That meeting was co-ordinated by someone, and we met."

Mthembu has been critical of the goings-on at the SABC and Motsoeneng’s leadership when he was chief operating officer.

A parliamentary ad-hoc committee is holding an inquiry into the public broadcaster.

Despite court rulings, the SABC has continued employing Motsoeneng in defiance, much to the chagrin of the ANC parliamentary caucus.

Earlier this week, Motsoeneng’s career at the SABC was dealt another blow when the High Court in Cape Town set aside his appointment as group executive of corporate affairs.

The public broadcaster appointed Motsoeneng as group executive after the Supreme Court of Appeal in September refused him leave to appeal against an earlier ruling that set aside his appointment as chief operating officer.

Majavu reportedly said on Tuesday he had advised Motsoeneng not to report for work until the SABC had informed him otherwise.

Please sign in or register to comment.