The SA Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) has expressed its disquiet over the alleged impending job cuts at SA Express, saying labour was not consulted. Reports emerged last week that the loss making state-owned airline was planning to downsize its staff. The airline, whose new board was appointed in 2018, has struggled operationally for several years. It is heavily reliant on government support to stay afloat. The auditor-general previously expressed doubt that the airline can continue operating as a going concern. Citing a City Press report, Satawu said the airline’s board had approved a plan by acting CEO Siza Mzimela to cut jobs. Mzimela is said to have made a presentation to a board committee arguing that the ratio of 822 employees to 10 aircraft is an indication the airline is overstaffed, the union said. It is not yet clear how many jobs are at stake. “As a union representing workers at the airline, Satawu is disappointed we had to read about the plan to cut jobs ...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now