SA has secured half the Covid vaccines needed for herd immunity, say experts
Prof Barry Schoub says SA has secured about 20-million doses of the vaccine, of which 1-million has already arrived
SA has acquired about half the doses of vaccine it needs for the country to hit its target of achieving herd immunity against the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Speaking at a webinar on Thursday evening, Prof Barry Schoub, who chairs the Covid vaccine ministerial advisory committee, said it was vital to suppress the virus to the level of the common cold to bring an end to the pandemic.
“The virus will not disappear,” he said. “Only one virus has ever been eradicated and that’s smallpox.”
The “how to nab the jab” webinar, which was hosted by the SA Jewish Report, covered how many doses of the vaccine SA had secured and when it was likely to arrive.
Joining Schoub on the panel were Discovery Health chief commercial officer Dr Ronald Whelan and Dr Stavros Nicolaou, Business For SA health working group chair and Aspen Pharmacare Group senior executive responsible for strategic trade.
SA’s target of vaccinating 40-million people by the end of the year would be an even greater challenge than the previous campaign to roll out antiretrovirals, said Schoub.
“We will need 6,500 health-care workers who will each have to immunise 50 people a day,” he said. “But I think we may well surprise ourselves.”
Schoub said SA had secured about 20-million doses of Covid-19 vaccine, of which 1-million had already arrived in SA. A further 500,000 doses were due to arrive in February.
The initial tranche would be followed by 12-million doses from the Covax facility, plus a further 12-million doses from the AU’s allocation.
There was also the possibility of 9-million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s candidate vaccine being allocated to SA.
The Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine is undergoing its third-phase clinical trials, with data due to be published in early February.
The panellists were grilled at length by viewers wanting to know when the vaccine would arrive and how it would be rolled out.
The first phase of the rollout would target SA’s about 1.3-million health-care and associated workers, said Nicolaou. The recipients would include people such as cleaners and receptionists in doctors’ practices who are equally at risk of getting infected as doctors themselves.
Next in line would be the elderly and people with co-morbidities — about 20-million people — in the third or fourth quarter of the year, followed by the rest of the population by the end of 2021.
“It is the most ambitious plan this country has seen in the last century,” Nicolaou said.
He said it was vital that people worked together for the rollout to succeed.
“Every South African has to put a shoulder to the wheel,” he said.
Work is under way to create a database of health-care workers and other frontline staff across the country.
Meanwhile, there were increasing signs that SA’s second wave, while still extraordinarily high, may have passed its peak, said Whelan.
The seven-day moving average of infections had dropped by 37%, from 19,000 at the peak to 13,000. Hospital admissions had dropped from 500 to 400 a day.
“It’s still extraordinarily high but at least it’s on the downturn,” he said. The positivity rate — which is based on the number of tests coming back positive — had also dropped.
Whelan said Discovery Health figures mirrored the overall countrywide data.
Early indications were that the new variant of the virus identified in SA in late 2020 did not necessarily cause more severe illness.
Discovery Health’s data gathered during the first and second waves was almost identical, said Whelan.
“Anecdotally, we have heard of more severe infections,” said Whelan, adding that the currently available data did not show any increase over the first wave.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments?
Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.