Nomgcobo Jiba. Picture: SOWETAN
Nomgcobo Jiba. Picture: SOWETAN

Justice Yvonne Mokgoro has submitted her report on whether senior National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) officials Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi are fit to hold office.

It is not yet known what Mokgoro and her co-panellists have decided and recommended to president Cyril Ramaphosa.

The inquiry into the suspended officials was seen as being part of the process to restore the integrity of the NPA.

Earlier in 2019 the inquiry heard six weeks of evidence, which among other things dealt with prosecutorial decisions taken on politically sensitive cases, such as the decision to withdraw the charges against former crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli, and the decision to institute racketeering charges against former KwaZulu-Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen.

Both Mrwebi, suspended special director of public prosecutions, and Jiba, suspended deputy national director of public prosecutions, had adverse comments made about them in court judgments, specifically about how they had acted in litigation that followed the prosecutorial decisions.

Bongiwe Gambu, spokesperson for the inquiry, said on Monday the report has been submitted to the president and that marked the end of the inquiry’s work. 

“Now that the report has been submitted, justice Mokgoro will meet with the president for a formal presentation and handover of the report this week,” Gambu said.

She said details of the meeting would be communicated in due course and it was expected that once the meeting has taken place, the presidency would then take over communication, including on the final decision made by Ramaphosa.

Khusela Diko, Ramaphosa’s spokesperson, confirmed receipt and said the presidency was still studying the report.

Ramaphosa suspended Jiba and Mrwebi on full pay in October 2018 pending the finalisation of the inquiry. 

mailovichc@businesslive.co.za