The City of Johannesburg has returned three hijacked buildings to their rightful owners‚ mayor Herman Mashaba said on Tuesday. The handover took place on Monday night‚ Mashaba said. Two of the properties are in Kenilworth and one in Turffontein. "The handover of the properties follows months of investigations by the City’s group forensic and investigation service (GFIS) working together with the South African Police Service‚" Mashaba said. "It is alleged that the properties were hijacked last year and that the rightful owners were denied access. After months of trying to evict the hijackers and their tenants without success‚ the owners approached GFIS in August this year for assistance." A husband and wife appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court last Thursday after they were arrested for hijacking one of the properties. They were among 11 people arrested during a downtown raid‚ and were denied bail. Five undocumented immigrants were also arrested last week‚ along with six ot...

Subscribe now to unlock this article.

Support BusinessLIVE’s award-winning journalism for R129 per month (digital access only).

There’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in SA. Our subscription packages now offer an ad-free experience for readers.

Cancel anytime.

Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.