Jacob Zuma may challenge state capture report
President Jacob Zuma will consider challenging the public protector’s state capture report, the Presidency said on Wednesday.
This was after a U-turn by the President earlier on Wednesday, when he withdrew his application in the High Court in Pretoria for an interdict to prevent the release of the report.
"In the interest of justice and speedy resolution of the matter, the President decided to withdraw his application," presidency spokesperson Bongani Ngqulunga said.
"The President will give consideration to the contents of the report in order to ascertain whether it should be a subject of a court challenge."
Earlier on Wednesday, the High Court in Pretoria ordered that the report be released by 5pm.
Zuma had argued that he was not afforded a reasonable opportunity to "provide meaningful input" into the investigation, and had asked the court to be given an opportunity to do so.
The Presidency said when Zuma launched the court application it was not clear whether the investigation was finalised.
The public protector had since clarified that the report was signed and finalised by former public protector Thuli Madonsela on October 14.