IT IS said to be unlikely that Nomgcobo Jiba and Lawrence Mrwebi will be granted leave to appeal against a court ruling that struck their names from the roll of advocates.And, according to Centre for Constitutional Rights director Phephelaphi Dube, "one would be hard-pressed to legally justify their continued employment by the" National Prosecuting Authority.Dube wrote on Monday that the North Gauteng High Court had "made damning findings against the two" NPA executives and expressed disbelief that they would "stoop so low for the protection and defence of one individual who had been implicated in the serious offences".That was a reference to Jiba’s decision to drop charges against former police crime intelligence head Richard Mdluli while Mrwebi "sought to mislead the court in those particular proceedings".The high court heavily criticised Jiba’s conduct in two other matters."On the question of what happens next — arguably the chances of success in any appeal are very slim‚" said D...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.