Crude may continue to weaken before rallying in winter
The miner has instituted projects to decrease the social wage deficit, ranging from education to roads
President laments that scarcely a day passes without reports about men attacking, violating and killing women
Chair Siboniso Duma says province may well support Ramaphosa for a second term
Miner has access to a $70m reinsurance facility to write guarantees out of London, which the company wants to spend over the next 15 months
The Trump-era tariffs on imported metals have been eased for some other countries
In the wake of SAA’s near-demise Comair’s market share crept up to 35%-40% by the time it too collapsed
One firefighter died and 14 are missing in what officials say is the worst fire in Cuba’s history
Failure to win on Saturday would put coach Ian Foster and captain under pressure in terms of their future with the team
Nicholas Yell trades SUV for saddle and makes his way from Bot River to Merweville and on to Kruisrivier
The most expensive car sold at Saturday’s international classic car auction at Montecasino was a rare 1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2, which was snapped up by an SA collector for R2.79m.
However, the auction’s most popular cars as measured by registration numbers per lot and the ferocity of bidding, were SA-built classics such as a 1984 Alfa Romeo GTV6 3L and American muscle cars. This was according to Kevin Derrick, CEO of Creative Rides Classic and Collectables Auctions.
Derrick says the Johannesburg auction was a success with hundreds of bidders from five continents participating in the 116-lot sale.
“Since all the vehicles auctioned were sourced from SA collections we’re delighted that 90% were bought by locals and will stay in the country. The remaining 10% will be shipped to their new owners across the world within the next few weeks,” he said.
The top 10 prices achieved on Saturday were:
1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 — R2.79m
1998 Ferrari 550 Maranello — R1.6m
1960 Chevrolet Corvette — R1.44m
2013 Ford Mustang 302 — R1.35m
1989 Ferrari GTS — R1.25m
1972 Jaguar E-Type V12 — R1.24m
1984 Alfa Romeo GTV6 3L — R1.18m
2016 Ford Mustang GT Supercharged — R1.1m
1948 Chevrolet V8 Pickup — R930,000
1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS — R930,000
1967 Ford Mustang Fastback — R910 000
Derrick says Saturday’s top sale price beat the company’s previous auction record by R1.69m that was set in December when a 1983 Alfa GTV6 3L was knocked down for R1.1m.
“We actually set two new records at this auction — one for the top-seller and the other for the highest yet SA auction price achieved for an Alfa GTV6 3L at R1.18m.
“Bidder interest in the GTVs and a last-minute addition to the catalogue, a 1972 Ford Fairmont, was unprecedented in Creative Rides’ auction history.
“The GTVs were bought by SA collectors but the Fairmont, which was knocked down for R840,000, will be going to Australia.”
Derrick says American muscle cars were also hot favourites among bidders.
“The red and white 1960 Corvette that sold for R1.44m was a definite highlight, as were the 1968 Camaro and 1967 Mustang Fastback.
“There’s a huge local collector market for American muscle cars, which is growing in popularity every year. Ensuring that these collectors have a steady supply of quality auction stock is important for investment collectors because it keeps the trade alive.”
Derrick says the event reached an online live-stream audience of more than 8,000 viewers across 16 countries, and the company is already fielding queries about its next auction.
Would you like to comment on this article? Register (it's quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.
Published by Arena Holdings and distributed with the Financial Mail on the last Thursday of every month except December and January.