MTN Group said on Thursday that it would "vigorously defend" the Turkcell $4.2bn lawsuit that the Turkish operator filed in the South Gauteng High Court this week.Turkcell is claiming damages for the loss it suffered after it lost a mobile network licence in Iran.Turkcell is accusing MTN of corruption by bribing officials, arranged meetings between Iranian and South African leaders, and promising Iran weapons and United Nations votes in exchange for a licence to provide cellphone services in Iran.MTN owns a 49% stake in Iran’s mobile network operator, Irancell.Iran Electronic Development Company owns the remaining 51%. Turkcell said it was initially awarded the licence, which was then given to MTN in 2005.Turkcell originally filed its lawsuit against MTN in the US last year, but withdrew the case after the US Supreme Court ruled in a separate case that US courts do not have jurisdiction in cases involving two foreign firms in disputes outside the US.Turkcell said this week "the fili...

Subscribe now to unlock this article.

Support BusinessLIVE’s award-winning journalism for R129 per month (digital access only).

There’s never been a more important time to support independent journalism in SA. Our subscription packages now offer an ad-free experience for readers.

Cancel anytime.

Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.