The SA consortium behind the major gas and oil find off the coast of Mossel Bay is exhilarated by the development. “It’s a fantastic result. We just want to drink Champagne now,” said Jan Maier, director of Main Street 1549 consortium, which holds 10% in the prospect. Last Thursday, French oil and gas company Total announced a significant discovery of gas condensate, which has opened a new “world-class gas and oil play” in SA waters. Gas condensate is predominantly gas but with traces of oil. Independent experts say the project could generate R1-trillion for the SA economy over the next 20 years. The block in which the discovery was made is operated by Total, which holds a 45% working interest. Qatar Petroleum holds 25%, while CNR international has 20% and Main Street 10%. Main Street, which is 51%-owned by businessman Phuthuma Nhleko’s Arostyle Investments, bought into the venture in 2017. Nhleko is mobile group MTN’s chair. The remaining 49% of Main Street is held by Africa Energy...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.