Tokyo — Nissan Motor failed on Tuesday to nominate a successor to Carlos Ghosn as chair of the car maker in the wake of his arrest and dismissal for alleged financial misconduct in November, Kyodo News said. Ghosn could remain in detention until the end of 2018 because Tokyo prosecutors plan to rearrest him on a fresh claim of understating his income, the Sankei newspaper reported earlier on Tuesday. A three-member panel of external Nissan directors put off a decision on recommending a replacement for the jailed Ghosn, Kyodo News said, without citing sources for its information, The carmaker did not immediately reply to a request for a comment on the report. Ghosn’s arrest to face charges including the underreporting of income has triggered new attempts by Nissan to weaken Renault’s control of their Franco-Japanese alliance. Ghosn, 64, was the architect of the alliance and one of the best-known figures in the car industry. Nissan has tasked former trade and industry official Masakaz...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, ProfileData financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00. Got a subscription voucher? Redeem it now