San Francisco — On Thursday, Google outlined changes to its handling of sexual misconduct complaints, hoping to calm outrage that triggered a worldwide walkout of workers last week. “We recognise that we have not always gotten everything right in the past and we are sincerely sorry for that,” CEO Sundar Pichai said in a message to employees, a copy of which was shared with AFP. “It’s clear we need to make some changes.” Arbitration of harassment claims will be optional instead of obligatory, according to Pichai, a move that could end anonymous settlements that fail to identify those accused of harassment. “Google has never required confidentiality in the arbitration process and it still may be the best path for a number of reasons (for example, personal privacy, predictability of process), but, we recognise that the choice should be up to you,” Pichai said. He promised that Google will be more transparent with how concerns are handled, and provide better support and care to those wh...

BL Premium

This article is reserved for our subscribers.

A subscription helps you enjoy the best of our business content every day along with benefits such as exclusive Financial Times articles, Morningstar financial data, and digital access to the Sunday Times and Times Select.

Already subscribed? Simply sign in below.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@businesslive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.